Update on experiment 1

It transpires that the whole experiment was somewhat misconceived.

To recap: we were having trouble getting images indexed on a certain part of another live site, and on examining the cache of the pages in Google we noted that the images were not appearing. We then identified a couple of candidate reasons why this might be, isolated them and set up some pages here to test which of the reasons might be causing it. 

We successfully identified the cause of the phenomenon.

However, the underlying assumption – that the absence of the image from Google’s cached version was somehow an indication that Google had not indexed the image – was incorrect, as I discovered when looking again at an offending cached page using another browser (in this case IE), which rendered the image.

I suppose that the experiment worked, but the hypothesis unfortunately died.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.